You’re More Likely to Be Struck by Lightning…
Elissa Jarvis, Lead Reporter Tuesday, June 19, 2012
.. Than be bitten by a shark. There has been a lot of news coverage recently about shark bites in the Myrtle Beach area. In the last week, 4 different people have appeared to be bitten by a shark in Myrtle Beach. Today another swimmer, this time in North Myrtle Beach, claimed to have been attacked by a shark. It is unclear if these people have actually been bitten by sharks, as none of these swimmers saw a shark. Many people have speculated it’s more likely than these swimmers were bitten by a pack of blue fish. Photos have been sent to experts at the University of Florida for further review.
To put in perspective though, there are only about 100 reported cases of a shark attack in the world every year and typically only 5-7 of them are fatal. Here are some things that are more likely to kill you than a shark bite:
- Getting struck by lightning kills 10,000 people a year
- Getting attacked by a Hippo kills 2,900 people a year
- Shopping on Black Friday kills 550 people a year
- Falling coconuts kills 150 people a year
- Being attacked by a cow killed 108 people between 2003-2008
- Falling out of bed kills 450 people a year in the United States alone
Statistically speaking more people are killed in car accidents everyday than from sharks attacks in a whole year. So don’t let these shark bites alarm you or ruin your Myrtle Beach vacation. But watch out for those cows.