Big Beach Weekend Coming!
Elissa Jarvis, Lead Reporter Thursday, May 24, 2012
Memorial Day Weekend is the official kick-off to summer in the United States. Are you spending it here in Myrtle Beach? Do you know everything that is going on this weekend?
There is no doubt about it; Memorial Day Weekend is a huge event here in Myrtle Beach. Not only are the bikers down for Atlantic Beach Bike Week, it’s also Military Appreciation days and the kick-off to summer. Tons of events are going on this weekend including:
- The Dirty Myrtle Mud Run- The quirky run features obstacles along the way like a tire run, mud pit, hills and more. Music, food and beer will be served up at the finish line. It’s a 3 mile track for adults and a 1 mile track for kids. Awards will be handed out for first, second and third place, overall male and overall female. The run starts at 9 a.m. at Waterbridge, a gated residential community in Myrtle Beach in Carolina Forest.
- The Memorial Day Parade starts at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 26. The parade begins at 27th Avenue North and travels south to Ninth Avenue North, with great views all along the route!
- Family Picnic on the Pavilion Site will kick-off at noon following the parade. It will be a fun family event complete with activities for the kids, military exhibits, music and more. Activities are set for 12:00 to 3:00 p.m., Saturday, May 26, on Ocean Boulevard from Eighth to Ninth Avenue North. The picnic is free for all active duty service men and women, as well as those who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, including the National Guard and Reserve. Lunch is just $4 for all other veterans, military spouses and children, and $6 for everyone else.
- The Myrtle Beach Pelicans will be playing the Wilmington Blue Rocks all weekend. Games are at 7:05 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and 6:05 p.m. on Sunday. There will also be fireworks after the game Sunday night.
- On Sunday, Myrtle Beach favorite Sunny Ledfurd will be headlining the Summer Concert Series at the Boathouse. Make sure to get their early so that you get a good spot to watch the show!
So hang out on the beach or hit up one of these great events. Just remember to make your Myrtle Beach stay memorable. So who’s visiting this weekend?